All that glitters is not only for golden years.

A few weeks back the countryside of Vancouver Island offered an art trot through 10 beautiful acres in Nanoose Bay. And on that summer solstice weekend I discovered all that glittered, a display of sparkling coloured forms, was an effort with impact beyond artistic expression.

Let me explain. As I wandered through different areas of 'Art in the Garden' my long view was captured by the most breathtaking shapes with colours that readily reflected the light. As I moved closer I realized the artist's booth was presenting large floral forms... in glass!

It was a hive of activity and I approached a women who had a moment's break in the thick of things. "Is this your work?",  I asked. She smiled, "Mine and many others" was the reply. I was a bit puzzled.

As people weaved in and out of the tight spaces in the tent I was an unintentional party to their conversations. "So pleased to see you back here this year." Another woman grinned from ear to ear. "I'm glad to see you again... I'm getting this one. It looks like a daffodil."








With all the activity and little space I needed to make my way outside the tent. A woman who had been involved in the conversations was also making her way out. She had presence.

"Wow", I said to her. "Your work is doing really well." The presence, who's name was Sandy, broke into a grin. "We're from Eden Gardens" she said. "This program involves some of our residents and many volunteers". 

Quickly I learned that Eden Gardens was a specialized home in Nanaimo offering compassionate care to 130 people living with dementia. They offer programs to an additional 160 people who live at home. Sandy suggested that I speak with Janeane who was the Chair of their Board of Directors.

I had spotted the gracious energy that was Janeane earlier in the tent. Once Sandy introduced us, Janeane explained to me that Eden Gardens had a new home - a build completed in 2017 that many people had worked toward. She herself wisely engaged the potential neighbours during the planning process, one on one, at their doors discussing the new building project for Eden Gardens.

We departed on the note that dementia was a disease that affected a range of people, not only the elderly. After Janeane left I made my way to the woman I originally spoke to.  

Now I understand a bit better, I thought to myself. Original woman Betty introduced me to her mother, Joanne, who proudly conveyed that the proceeds from the sales of the beautiful glass flowers went to Eden Gardens. She, Betty and friends Kim and Evelyn paint once a week.

When I corresponded after the event with Betty, she mentioned that they really needed more inventory since they had an "awesome sale this past weekend".

Brava ladies of Eden Gardens Nanaimo! You are giving back in an engaging fashion.

747,000 Canadians (alz.org/ca) are living with either Alzheimer's or another form of dementia.


Comments

  1. I can think of at least twelve spots in my gardens where one of those would be stunning! Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. D: They were just amazing en masse. Within a span of less than two hours they were nearly gone...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this wonderful article Jill. I am so glad you were able to take some pictures of the display because we were so busy we never got the chance! And thank you to everyone who bought the glass garden art in support of Eden Gardens. We hope to be back next year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. FYI to all those fans - the glass flowers are often available for sale year round at Eden Gardens in Nanaimo, BC in our Bistro area. Perhaps you could even share a cup of coffee with one of our in-house artists!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FYI above for those folks in or visiting Nanaimo!

      Delete

Post a Comment